CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 13, 2007

One Sweet Day

I was cavorting about the city today with my good friend AnnE Keller when the subject of my funeral plans was brought up. For those of you not in the know, I never thought I would live past the age of eighteen. I couldn't see myself getting any older, so I always just assumed that meant that I would die my senior year of high school. Knowing and accepting this fate, I began to (very intricately) plan my funeral. I've made a few changes since then and I had to let AnnE in on them. First, I would like everyone walking into the service to get a fan with a picture of my head on it, since I plan to die in the summer when everyone's hot. I would also like Sarah Balch to be standing up front singing "With You In Your Dreams" by Hanson, accompanied by only a piano. I would like to be eulogized by everyone in attendance, no matter how well they may or may not have known me. I am also requesting to be buried with Blue Pig (check out his 'Space if you don't know what I'm talking about) and Simon, my bear. I want an open casket so that everyone can see my carefully chosen outfit and coiffed hair. After everyone has finished singing, I would like my boyfriend/husband/lover to stand up and sing "Always Be My Baby" by Mariah Carey with acoustic accompaniment and a large choir full of black people as backup. During this song I would like a slideshow of pictures of myself with friends and family to play on giant screens in the background. After that I would like _-CANG to come on stage and do a dramatic version of "One Sweet Day" by Mariah Carey and Boys II Men. I want them in floor-length white choir-esque robes. The robes should be somewhat translucent and flowy. They should also shimmer. I would like AnnE to take the vocals of Mariah, Cassady to be the deep-voiced guy who randomly talks during the song, Natalie to be the main singer from Boys II Men, and Genevieve to sing only during the choruses as one of the miscellaneous Boys II Men members. During this performance I'd like a slideshow of photos of JUST me looking fabulous (Squirt, perhaps we should do a photo shoot before I die). I would like it all to culminate at the end of the song with a photo of me looking straight into the camera with an angel's halo superimposed over my head, along with my birth and death dates underneath. At this point, everyone in attendance will no doubt be in tears. This is when the real finale hits: the lights suddenly turn off and a strobe light comes on as my body is lifted out of the casket on invisible strings and flown out over the crowd while "The Final Countdown" by Europe plays. I will then be placed on top of my casket in a triumphant pose. This will, of course, shock the audience into a stunned silence. They will then explode with laughter and walk away from my funeral feeling incredibly giggly and nearly cheerful. So that's basically it. I'm still looking for someone to do a Ferrell-esque version of "Dust In The Wind" at some point, as well as a pianist and guitarist to accompany Sarah/my lover. Also, someone in charge of setting up the grand finale. Let me know if you're interested, faithful readers! In case you wanted a little sneak preview, here's what you have to look forward to during the "One Sweet Day" performance...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't wait!! oops... i don't really want you to die but your funeral just sounds so fun!!

Vanessa said...

Yeah I know it will be amazing! AnnE promised me a preview for my birthday next year, but that's like 11 1/2 months away so...

Anonymous said...

so i noticed that you wanted one of your friends to sing "With You In Your Dreams" by Hanson with piano. i just wanted to let you know that i would be more than willing to play piano at your funeral. I have been playing since i was like 3 so i'm sure learning this song would be no trouble... it could be my parting gift to you :)

Vanessa said...

SCORE! Madeline, you're in.

Anonymous said...

OMG, when I got to "The Final Countdown" I was litterally in tears with laughter. Also, Ducky and I never thought we'd make it to 20 either, but now that we have we're sure to becomes crazy old cat ladies. You may join us if you'd like. Danielle is going to be the mean one who yells at little children to get off the grass and I am going to be the not-all-there one who the neighborhood children think is a witch:)

Danielle and Melissa said...

True, if you feel like being a cat lady if you don't die, w'ell probably have a mysterious, slightly-leaning 10 bedroom victorian style house with spiderwebs...

Also, I think you should work GOB somewhere into the plans during The Final Countdown. Maybe he can dance around your flying corpse?